Betcha didn’t know . . .
1) Texas is popularly known as The Lone Star State.
2) The King Ranch in Texas is bigger than the state of Rhode Island.
3) The Austin state capitol building is made from 15,000 carloads of Texas pink granite.
4) The armadillo is the official state mammal – only in Texas would we name a ‘critter’ a state mammal.
5) The first word spoken from the moon on July 20, 1969 was ‘Houston’.
6) More species of bats live in Texas than in any other part of the United States – okay, this explains a lot. No wonder I don’t understand many of my fellow Texans. We’re all batty!
7) Dr Pepper was invented in Waco in 1885. The Dublin Dr Pepper, 85 miles west of Waco, still uses pure imperial cane sugar in its product. There is no period after the Dr in Dr Pepper. – ummmmm-um! It’s good stuff, too. You can take a tour of the Dublin plant for about $2.00 a head.
8) The world’s first rodeo was held in Pecos on July 4, 1883 – told you we had the first cowboys.
9) In Texas, it’s illegal to put graffiti on someone else’s cow – well, of course it is.
10) Seventy-five % of the world’s Snickers bars are made in Waco at the M&M/Mars plant. Soda and candy, no wonder we think we’re an Independent state!
11) In Texas, it is illegal to curse in front of or indecently expose a corpse – okay, you gotta love our laws.
12) Early Spanish missionaries in Texas hoped to encourage the spread of European values by offering flannel underwear to Native Americans – have you ever worn flannel underwear? No wonder the Indians went on the warpath.
13) Lubbock, Texas doesn’t have any storm drains. – so that is what’s wrong with Lubbock!