What I learned since signing my publishing contact . . . in no specific order!
1) Take time writing your book blurb.
2) Share your good news with everyone you know.
3) Order business cards — flashy and have them ready to pass out.
4) Start a blog or journal on your website. Keep people posted on what’s ahead.
5) Don’t be afraid of re-writes — tightening with the help of your editor is priceless.
6) Join Yahoo groups.
7) Ask questions of fellow authors, where do you get the gold ‘Autograph Copy’ stickers, did you host a book-signing? What worked? What would you do differently?
8) Order some of your books in print when they become available.
9) Ask your CP and friends to post reviews on your website, Amazon.com, the publisher’s website.
10) Keep writing. Some editors do want the next book.
11) When you set up a book-signing, mail your own reminder cards for the event.
12) Determine your author brand and develop a slogan that captures the essence of your writing style. In a few words ONLY, what sets your writing apart from all others.
13) Post excerpts of your book everywhere on the Internet! Okay, maybe not everywhere, but research which sites allow excerpt posting then surf the site for a few days and see if excerpts along the lines of your book are posted there. Yeah, they are? Then post away.